PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus direct law landing
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2022, 01:10
iggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
That's true. As I said if stab is jammed only then. However many instructors teach to lower the gear after flap3 even in case of Dual RA. According to me this doesn't serve any purpose except postponing direct law by may be 15 seconds. Since you are going to fly in direct law till touchdown these 15secs should not be such a problem. According to me ​​​there are only two cases for non-standard configuration i.e. G+Y 1,2,3 and gear down and G+B gear down 1,2,3.

​​​
I know you are not advocating for it, but doing that in a DUAL RA sets you to land without the gear, in my view. Since there is no RA the landing gear not down horn will trigger at any given altitude, and the pilots most natural reaction witll be to cancel the aural warning using the pushbutton on the pedestal, which will cancel the warning for the remainder of the flight. If the crew becomes too focused on the emergency and the landing and goes through the landing checklist in a rush they might miss one of the ECAM MEMO being blue (and I have seen several flight crew in the sim missing the obvious due to stress and fixation).

I have seen quite experienced 320 Captains doing anything - anything! - so they didn't have to trim the airplane manually in the sim, and here is where the problem lies: many instructors don't know how to trim the airplane using the MAN PITCH TRIM, and therefore the FO doing the sim with them learns that direct law is the "worse thing" that can happen to a pilot, starting the myth of direct law being the maneouvre that will fail your sim session.

The only way I have seen to stop this is to sit in the sim with the flight crew, and flying a direct law landing myself configuring the airplane as usual: flaps 1, 2, gear (direct), and then 3. Only when they see how not difficult it actually is they start doing it themselves.

And of course, if a dumb overweight Spaniard like me can do it, they can do it as well, I keep telling them!