PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Douglas Bader in the modern era?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2022, 07:44
longer ron

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I know nothing of him, other than by folklore (and have no intention of impugning anyone who crossed his path in life). But... I imagine that for Mr. Bader, the only possible way to succeed would be to be "difficult" to adversity.
I am afraid you have it wrong P DAR - he was a grade 1 A hole,many people say he was just a man of his time but that is not true either,I met quite a few ex WW2 pilots (some still serving at the time) and the ones who had been nice guys during the war were still lovely Gents - the ones who had been complete A holes during the war were still A holes.I have to say that the great majority were really lovely gents and a pleasure to chat to/with.
Having said that DB did have one redeeming feature in that he worked hard for people he liked and also for the disabled (it seems).
I inadvertantly pi55ed DB off one day - I was asked by Air Traffic to see in a civvy aircraft (no name mentioned) and to park it on a bay on the other side of the taxyway (far away from the Hangars) - out steps DB looking a bit 'miffed' - ''why have you parked me over here Cpl ?'' - ''orders from Air Traffic'' says I.My oily/grubby overalls c/w bright yellow and black striped woolly hat probably didn't help much (Chipmunk/Bulldog Rigger at the time).
I have always assumed that somebody in Air Traffic disliked him and it was a deliberate 'slight' as we had a large 'Avgas' Ramp right outside our Hangar.