PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus direct law landing
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2022, 05:50
Scagrams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
That's true. As I said if stab is jammed only then. However many instructors teach to lower the gear after flap3 even in case of Dual RA. According to me this doesn't serve any purpose except postponing direct law by may be 15 seconds. Since you are going to fly in direct law till touchdown these 15secs should not be such a problem. According to me ​​​there are only two cases for non-standard configuration i.e. G+Y 1,2,3 and gear down and G+B gear down 1,2,3.

​​​
In the sprit of standardization, wouldn't it be easier to always do the same for direct law with gear down after flaps 3 and Vapp?
In my previous airline I was taught to do it like this no matter the fault. Then recently on an OPC in new outfit, without thinking much of it during an unreliable speed approach I called for non standard F3 before LG down (despite the procedure indeed calling for normal F2 then manual gear extension and then F3), until I was stopped by the instructor, telling me it is dangerous to go away from the procedure.

I mean at the end of the day it doesn't change much and certainly doesn't jeopardize the safety of the flight to do it one way or another. Just showed me once more how formatted we can get!

EDIT : Now that you mention it, I had forgotten about G+B special config also. Well makes my point somewhat weaker indeed! Procedures are here for a reason. Makes me question my former outfit now though