PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR T5 Delays
Thread: LHR T5 Delays
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2022, 02:20
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
These stories reminded me of a delay at (Thread Drift) T4, pre-T5. It was Wenesday 5th November 1987 and I was due out to Paris Orly for a full day at the client, whose office was very close to the airport.

I left from a client in North West London and drove, in heavy rain, to the short term park. It was only at BA check in that I learnt a VS 340 had had a problem with undercarriage on landing. I think it was a -300 but someone will correct. The left wing gear did not descend and lock, so their did their best and all went well. Save for the blocked runway.

As you will know, the delays then mount exponentially and we were waiting for some time. I was lucky to be in C but the lounge was very full. After a few hours, they advised that two flights were being combined. Our 757 (I think) was combined onto another 757 going to CDG now on a 767. I had been due out around 19:00 (I think) but we were boarded about 22:00 and then sat waiting for a slot. Because we might be off at any second, there was no cabin service. Fortunately, my overnight bag had my standard bottle of water, flapjack (UK style!) and a chocolate bar. Neighbour pax were envious of my precautions.

Arriving CDG gone midnight local, the ORY crowd were put on a coach and we set off round the Périphérique at 'French' speed - which I was pleased about, other than that it was also teeming with rain there! I got into the hotel room at about 01:30 local and deployed the mini-bar before having to be out at 08:00. Because my outbound had been moved to CDG, they kindly made my return from there too - so it was back across the city.

That was my Thursday. I was in the other clients office on Friday morning, putting on a good show of knowing what was going on.

Last edited by PAXboy; 23rd Feb 2022 at 23:38.