PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plymouth Airport
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2022, 19:27
SWBKCB

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jmdavies86
Apologies for being overly pedantic, however I do think it's important to distinguish the difference between "owners" and "leaseholders" in matters like this.

As far as I understood things, Plymouth City Council would be considered as the "owners" as they own the majority of the freehold, and by all accounts they want to keep the site for aviation use; SHH are merely the current tenants as they're the "leaseholders" and they have to act accordingly within the terms of the lease agreement. When that lease comes up for renewal, it'll be the City Council that get to decide first and foremost whether they want to keep the site for aviation use and this will be written into any new lease agreement that is presented to SHH. If SHH subsequently choose not to accept this clause, then they can/will relinquish the lease when it expires and the City Council will assume responsibility for the site and need to conduct a tender process in order to find a new leaseholder/operator.
Fair point! But I understand that the current lease has over 100 years to run, with an option to extend for another 150 years...