PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - “UK Returner’s” Problem…
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2022, 07:02
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kitcarflyer
This post is specifically relating to the UK Returner’s process - for pilots who previously held a UK issued EASA licence and had SOLI’d out to another EASA state and now want to obtain a UK-FCL licence based on their current EASA licence.

I seem to have been right royally shafted by this. I have held an ATPL for over 30 years, originally UK issue then 10 years ago had to SOLI to an EU state as the UK airline I flew for was taken over by and incorporated into an EU carrier. Always was my intention to SOLI back to the UK if and when that employment ended.

So then with Brexit, things changed and the UK Returner’s process was announced which sounded a reasonable compromise. Except that the number of hoops to jump through have turned out to be numerous and complex. Finally one hoop too many for me as I have been scuppered by the fact that my last EU EASA medical was carried out by an AME who’s own AME authority had been revalidated after the Brexit date of 31-12-2020 and so is no longer recognised by the UK CAA. Therefore the CAA will not recognise my most recent EASA medical and so my Returner’s application has been rejected. They informed me that my only option now is to undergo a UK Initial Class One examination at one of the 3 Aeromedical centres. This is extremely expensive and inconvenient, with travel and a hotel I would have no change from £1,000. At my age this is just not worth it so I fear that when my employment comes to an end the cap will be hung up for good.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar trials and tribulation over this? I can’t believe I am the only one. In principle the idea of such a scheme was good but I don’t think it’s been fully thought through. I’ve been shafted by this rule regarding my AME’s date of his own revalidation which could have been due at any random time. It was just rotten luck for me that his revalidation came in June 2021 and not just a few months later when there would have been no problem. This factor has no relevance to my own medical status. The CAA staff have been very friendly and helpful but ultimately their hands are tied by the enforced regulations. If others are similarly affected then we need a revolution….!

I have also posted this subject on a different forum recently and an experienced and well respected flying instructor/ examiner said why don’t I just do another EASA Class One renewal with an examiner who’s authority has not been molested since 31-12-2020? That is good thinking and I am going to follow it up with the CAA (if I can get through to them). I’ve no idea if this would be accepted or not, if it did it would be a lot easier than an initial Class One. Either way though the whole thing is barking mad and crazy!
This is absolutely crazy. Genuinely feel for you, what a pointless way to have to give up flying.

Just one of the many economic sanctions we seem to have proudly imposed on ourselves..!