PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident near Ashford
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2022, 10:12
OvertHawk

Received 120 Likes on 55 Posts
I have utmost sympathy for anyone who faces that kind of medical condition - having lost both my parents to cancer, I know what it looks like.

I can also understand why someone might chose to end their life on their own terms before the pain and loss of quality of life became intolerable.

In this case I have the utmost sympathy for the poor souls who were the collateral damage - The Instructor and the A/G operator at Rochester who had to watch and listen to this unfold and the two passers by who attended the scene of the crash and tried to save the pilot.

They will have experienced real and long lasting trauma from this - in the same way that train drivers suffer horribly when people jump out in front of their trains.

I cannot imagine (fortunately) how desperate one would have to feel to take this course of action but I cannot help but think that there were other options open to this gentleman whereby he could have ended his life on his own terms without causing such pain for others. ( I'm certainly not suggesting that this thread become a discussion about any such methods!)

But then to quote the old phrase oft used by Coroners in the UK - "Whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed".

Horribly sad for everyone - But i feel particularly sad for the people who have to live with it.

Last edited by OvertHawk; 21st Feb 2022 at 15:41. Reason: spelling