PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downfall - Netflix
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2022, 03:10
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
What clear indication is there to a pilot to use the trim cutout switches?

I have a suspicion that, for old school 737 pilots, if the trim starts doing something, anything, that

(a) is contrary to what you command or expect, and

(b) you can't control it sensibly and appropriately, then

(c) the switches are used before the head scratching might commence.
<snip>
John, shortly after the second MAX crash, I attended a big fund raising event at the Seattle Museum of Flight. In addition to running into a few old Boeing friends who'd been involved in the MAX certification (and told me things that I didn't feel comfortable repeating at the time), I ended up sitting at a table with a high-power rocketry buddy who was a former Alaska 737 pilot - along with several other retired Alaska 737 pilots. Naturally the MAX was a major topic of discussion at the table - and one thing all those 737 pilots agreed on was that if the stab trim started doing something you didn't want or understand, the first thing they would do would be to turn it off.

MechEngr, I've not bothered to watch the Netflix movie, but I did watch a different TV program (I want to say it was on Smithsonian, but it might have been History). It was so full of factual errors and gross simplifications I found it hard to watch. Thanks for letting me know not to waste my time on the Netflix version.