PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Plaques Commemorating Aviation Pioneers
Old 20th Feb 2022, 20:24
Warmtoast

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Blue Plaques Commemorating Aviation Pioneers

Travelling along Alexandra Road near the junction of Lynchford Road in Farnborough North Camp I was intrigued by this blue plaque installed on the front of a house by the Farnborough Society commemorating Geoffrey de Havilland who lived there 1910 – 1913. Doing a bit of research the Farnborough Society also arranged for a plaque to be installed commemorating Beatrice (Tilly) Shilling as having lived in a house in Ashley Road, Knellword Road, Farnborough.
The first I know of, but Beatrice was a complete mystery. However a little research shows she was quite a character e.g
“Beatrice Shilling is most known for her engineering ideas for the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in 1940 fighter planes. When either the Spitfire or Hurricane would perform a nose dive the engine would cut out due to the flooding of the carburettor. Shilling innovated a small metal disk, similar to a washer, which would regulate the fuel flow, resulting in prevention of stalling. This invention was named the ‘RAE restrictor’, however while touring RAF bases and meeting various officers it soon got the nickname ‘Tilly’s orifice’, for various reasons other than it has a small puncture in the centre of the disk.”

More details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Shilling

The ‘Tilly’s Orifice’ I like (no laughter in the back please!).

I should add that Wetherspoons have named one of their Farnborough pubs after her ‘The Tilly Shilling’ in Victoria Road, Farnborough.

However, are there any other Blue Plaques installed to commemorate aviation pioneers that readers know of?
Some photos.

Alexandra Road' Farnborough

Outside Wetherspoons Pub, Farnborough

The Tilly Shilling in Victoria Road, Farnborough