PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2022, 06:11
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective
the Constitution doesn't add that people who 'served' will get a disproportionately higher say in certain matters or get more than one vote at elections.
That’s the ‘Starship Troopers’ world I was hinting at (check out the movie for a brilliant satirical expose of fascist propaganda dressed up in a cheesy sci fi flick).

Again my point is - we’re discussing the flag to be a symbol of the current nation state, not the military. It doesn’t matter if people in the military “served or fought” under it at some point in history, I bet the current national flag has been lifted at many points in history. The current Olympics for example, it’s been raised a few times (as an aside I’ve also noticed the Olympic team uniforms are devoid of any elements containing the current Union Jacked Australian flag).

Now does the raising of the flag at the Olympics block us from raising a different flag in the future? No, not at all. So I don’t see why it being used in some military contexts in the past is now an impenetrable road block to a future change.

Last edited by dr dre; 20th Feb 2022 at 06:27.