PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enstrom Helicopters 2022
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2022, 18:35
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by discap
I own a 480 B and use it as a private owner. I looked at all of the usual suspects before buying it. I always assumed that I would buy a MD 500. What I found in my research was interesting. My main goal was cross country travel.

1. There is no comparison in comfort. The Enstrom has real seats. All of the others you sit on a box with a cushion. I’m a big guy and found the MD horribly uncomfortable. He 206 is legendary with chiropractors. The R44 isn’t any better.

2. There is no comparison in operating costs. Robinson was probably the most expensive, considering how the ship was to be used. 100 hrs/hr. The Enstrom has 3 calendar items, the TT straps. There are less than a dozen Hobbs limited items on the airframe. Most items are “on condition “ including the blades. I just finished my third annual, I had a loose belt and a loose cable. Last annual was similar.

3. When properly set up it will fly hands off as long as most airplanes. You can’t take your hands off a Robbie stick. Yes the cyclic is heavy. It’s also heavy n a MD600. The thing is you don’t fly it by tugging on he stick, you use the trim. If you use the trim you don’t feel the weight, same on the MD. It’s not for mustering cattle it’s for comfortable traveling. Also no hydraulic system to break and maintain.

4. It’s smooth. Again I’m traveling in it. The Robbie and 206 are not. Too much 2 per. MD is nice. The 3 per is damped by dampers on the controls and tail.

5. Although unorthodox, the seating configurations are great. There is way more leg room for the “rear seat” passengers than the Robbie and certainly the MD. The straight 206 is close. If you don’t need the seat, then fold them up out of the way. Believe me it only looks weird.

6. It’s not good for shooting hogs out of. Only one door/gunner at a time.

7. My wife and I carry our golf clubs in it, in he baggage compartment not the cabin. Try that in anything else.

8. They are heavy. My useful load is 1100 lbs. With 3.5 hours of fuel that’s only 500 lbs in cabin. Not sure how this compares.

9. Although not IFR they are a great instrument platform. Vey stable and easy to fly.

10. Much slower than Robbie. I plan on 110 kts at 185 lbs/hr @ 2000 agl. I have a G500H that displays true airspeed.

11. You don’t have to slow down in turbulence. (Yes,I know I’m already going slow.&#128533

12.. No exposed pitch connecting rods. This, believe it or not is a biggie for me. I fly around a lot of big birds, geese and buzzards. They scare me in a 206. History has shown that it’s not a significant factor. I don’t want to find out. Also probably not as effective as wire cutters, but there are plenty of Enstrom pilots who have hit wires then backed off of them.

okay I’ll get off my soapbox now. The 480B is a great helicopter for traveling. It is also has the lowest cost of maintenance for the private owner (no comment on training).

Bill
Makes you wonder why the R44 is the best selling civilian helicopter while Enstrom went belly up?