PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2022, 05:41
megan

Received 394 Likes on 209 Posts
By the way, I thought the major opposition to the Vietnam War was because conscription was being used??
You're right. There are a number of nashos who remember being on the end of vile abuse by protesters when they showed up for induction, heap ****e on the boys, that's the way to do it. My parents had no qualms about two of their boys volunteering for Vietnam, Dad served in New Guinea in the NGVR then ANGAU from the day the war started to the day it ended, Mum who had only been in Salamau for six months was evacuated prior to the Jap invasion, they obviously had different perceptions of service to the country, right or wrong. Mind you, I was far less than impressed when it became known Johnson and McNamara were feeding the next days targets to the NV government, and were dictating how the war was to be fought.

We were never under any threat of invasion in WWII, the Japs never had the capability, but that wasn't appreciated until after the event. Fighting a war is the ultimate game of poker.
Well, when I see our flag, I see a colonial symbol that is way out of date with what we are today
What I see is some thing recognising our history, but that's just me, you'll find military units jealously guard their units history, insignia etc and you change it under pain of death, though the Navy did change the White Ensign in 1967.

Mum somewhere in there among the Salamau evacuation crowd.