PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2022, 12:47
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by aroa
AP you are right. The Eureka flag is a very good one …and looks good, a neat and simple design, and with a very good meaning for Australia.
A concerted fight against rampant grasping bureaucracy and police. Not enough people in Oz know about it’s genesis and it’s a pity it’s been taken over by some bad guys.
It is the first ‘ Australian ‘ flag.

Soon as I beat a corrupt council in court, up went a flag pole and the Eureka flag.!
That is the flag for me as being a symbol of a free citizen in Oz aka Bureaucratalia. The land of spin and bs.
And bureaurats drunk with power.
Agree. And it's also a fact of history when conservatives like to denigrate the rebellion that spurned it that most don't know, that a quite conservative Victorian populace at the time could not render one jury that would find the rebels guilty. Instead they were all acquitted, the Governor recalled to London in disgrace and a few of the rebels elected to the Victorian Parliament which then proceeded to pass some of the most progressive legislation in the Empire that the time, abolishing property qualifications or income qualifications for the franchise (sadly, universal suffrage was still a way off) and had a not insignificant influence in the choice of the term 'Commonwealth of Australia' which got right up the British nose, vehemently objected to by the royals an the UK government but insisted on by the Federation Committee - a lot of the spirit of that defiance can be traced directly back to Eureka.

Not sure if you're aware, but the Eureka Flag is one of only about 3-4 original flags of significance that still exist in the world - two of the others I believe are the British regimental flag that flew at Rorke's Drift and the Star Spangled Banner - the 15 star, 15 stripe US Flag that flew over Ft McHenry and inspired Frances Scott Key to write his poem which eventually became the US national anthem (shortly afterward, the US adopted rules that set the number of stripes at 13 and the number of stars as one for each state).