PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety around propellers
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2022, 18:16
TLDNMCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Consol
Having done some flying in the good ol' USA where you are encouraged to yell 'Clear Prop!' (I'm softly spoken so no one ever hears), I found myself back home at my local airfield. About to start my engine I observed an instructor and student at another aircraft parked alongside. I earnestly called 'Clear Prop!', no one heard. I signalled engine starting with hand signals several times to a now bemused looking pair. Then the instructor walked over to my aircraft through the prop arc, put his arm over the front cowl and helpfully asked if everything was alright!
Never earnestly assume that everybody else knows about hand signals and prop safety.
I remember during my initial groudcrew training, when we were being introduced to a new topic where verbal warnings were required, the instructors would make each of us stand up and shout the appropriate warning or instruction.
Some of the shrinking violets in the class would go red, mumble and sit down. "Get back up."
This went on until satisfactory volume was achieved,
"If you are working on aircraft, you'd better learn to shout and not be embarrassed by it, or you'll kill some poor **ck** one day."
Funny how the simplest of lessons stick even after 40+ years.