PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 17th Feb 2022, 05:17
tossbag

Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts
Yep, and it's OK for REX and others to bring 457's into Australia for turbo prop operations when there were a multitude of qualified Australians applying for the positions.

Anyone who thinks that E3's have forced downward pressure on regional wages is smoking the same weed the AFAP are. E3's have a minimal effect on whether a regional is viable or not. If they all left tomorrow the airlines would feel the same blip as what's happening due to attrition of these times.

In the good years, of which are about to start again, an E3 on the two year visa would fly 1500 hours or more and might even obtain a command depending on the regional. But AFAP and others would have you believe that it's better to be exploited in Australia rather than 'exploited' at a regional. I know which exploitment I'll take.

Ask any younger Australian with the requirements for an E3 what is better for them: 1500-2000 hours of Multi-Crew jet time, possible command in two to three years or continual kicks in the balls until they can get that prized 7 year SO then 15 to 20 year FO gig. I've heard it mentioned in some circles that anyone choosing this path is cheating. Pathetic.