PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2022, 20:42
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Putin is a chancer - and this time he’s had his bluff called, but there was never going to be an invasion and Biden’s entourage have escalated this to take the credit for de-escalating. When you’re weak, you have to find a way to appear strong.
I tend to agree that currently both Putin and Biden are playing to their respective audience. I think it started by Putin as a real test how united NATO and Europe would be. Now seeing that even Eastern European states like Bulgaria are welcoming US Troops and all are agreeing on sanctions it became clear that Plan A was not really viable. Now it's about face saving and appearing strong for him and for Biden as well who has to make up for the Afghanistan mess. These alarmist Secret service (if it is really secret they are typically able to keep it as such - if information is leaked it is typically intended to be so) messages are messages for the public at home and in Europe to keep them in check.
Right now I don't really expect an invasion any more. Hope not to be proven wrong though.