PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PACIFIC AIRLINES- Working conditions
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2003, 07:19
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAW...I see a lot of the 737-800 guys in the crew room and at the crew center. Most of their flying is of a 1-2 day version I recall. Where the A340 and the 744 go to NRT from TPE in a turnaround or a 2 day overnight (744), the 737 goes to the smaller Japanese cities. There is an interesting ETOPS 737 flight where they fly TPE-GUAM nonstop and take two crews,so there is no layover. The 738 will go to HKG for turns also in a 1 day trip. The 738 does a TPE-KHH flight (:45min) and then onto the various cities in Asia.

The 738 pilots are all based in TPE even though I think they had a KHH base a few years ago. The 738 expats get 8 days off in a row just like everybody else. They get the ECM to their home for their 8 days. I think the pay is fairly comparable to the other fleet pay even though their market allowance is lower. This is because Boeing made some 3,000 737 models and the 744 and A340 may be in the 1,000 range. More people are rated on 737 models than the other and more previously qualified 737 people have made the trek to Taipei. So their market allowance is slightly lower because of supply and demand.

Somewhere in January,CAL has their annual review of pay and expenses. Obviously,I hope they go up or stay the same as CAL does not need to lose any more pilots to other people hiring in the world. Money is a fine attractor of people <bfg>!