PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA medical vadility in EU zone (ATP)?
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2022, 21:11
Andres Belgy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA medical vadility in EU zone (ATP)?

Hi,

First of all, sorry if this is not the correct place to post.

I have the following scenario:

I am a European citizen (Belgium). I am not able to obtain an initial EASA class 1 (monocular vision) however, I recently obtained my FAA Class 1 medical.

My goal is to obtain an ATP (probably FAA since I have an FAA medical)

Currently, I am exploring my options on how I should approach my training. I already found out obtaining a VISA in the U.S. is not something you'll easily do.
You can get an F-1 VISA and do your training/flight hours, but after that, your permit to work will eventually end so no guarantees there.

Now, I was wondering, do European pilots with an FAA license (and most importantly, that are only able to get an FAA medical) have an opportunity to work in Europe?
I saw posts mentioning 'ICAO, JAA,..' I am not exactly sure what the exact difference is, but if I understood correctly you can bring an EASA and FAA license under an 'ICAO' license?

To clarify, the real problem I have is not being able to obtain an EASA medical Class 1. But I think I would have no problems doing the theory programs etc...

Imagine an airline accepts an ICAO license, will I be able to work there with an FAA medical and not an EASA one? There are airliners out there in Europe flying with N-reg planes, I could work for those, right?

Are there any people in this forum that know people that had an issue like me?
I am aware my scenario is not common, that's why I have trouble finding accurate information regarding this subject.

TL;DR can you operate in Europe under FAA/EASA regulations when only being able to obtain an FAA Class 1 medical?

Thank you in advance for your helpful replies.

Kind Regards,
Andres