PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting aircraft - what have you seen on your computer today?
Old 15th Feb 2022, 11:24
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by treadigraph
One (at least) of the B-52s has been for an overnight stroll down to the Strait of Gibraltar via a big circular-ish route, just heading back into Fairford...

I recall cracking across to Heathrow early one morning in my first car with a mate to catch up with my first IL-76, or rather two of them - Iraqi Airways examples picking up goodies when Saddam was our friend. Rumour was MD530s but I can't find any evidence they ever had any. We made the trip several more times. Managed to get home in time to change and whizz into work for 9am. We must have been mad, especially as we repeated the stunt several times.

Treadi

The previous evening I had not long go ne to bed when i heard a loudish low rumbling sound of something heavy passing over frome. Lots of C17s , A400, c130s around here but the sound was from long long ago and took a long time to fade away. Look on FR24 and Chief 12 B52H has just gone by climbing through FL130 a reminder of what jet aircraft sued to sound like in the 1960s , but they only had four engines. FR24 gave the origin as Brize not Fairford which did seem unusual to me as never heard of combat types operating from BZZ. I checked out the flight early morning and it was well into the med having routed away from land all the way towards Gib.. Shame it wasnt daylight as I havent seen a B52 since they beat up Blackbushe instead or Farnborough in Airshow week .