PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2022, 22:32
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
I flew with a Turkish guy who was another emerging expert on the troubles of indigenous Australians. It was about twenty years ago so I don’t think First Nation people’s was widely in use so forgive me if I’ve offended. This guy had read a book on Aboriginal Australians and was quite enthusiastic at telling me historical woes. He really started pi$$ing me off as much as the Chardonnay-Harbour set had back home. So I pressed him on the Ottoman’s and touché he came back with the Dardanelles campaign. So I mentioned his days flying Phantoms and him napalming his own countryman, the Armenians, and he responded by saying they were just fuc$ing gypsies. Extraordinary and no less extraordinary is the virtue signalling and symbolism of many Australians toward an incredibly complex issue. I’m not about to join the thread in debate because the same issues will be around in another twenty years. Not sure a flag will fix the many problems though I wish it would. Dismantling the success and settlement of Australia probably won’t either-though its sure to please many! Not all settlers and convicts were the homicidal killers of Aboriginal Australians. The shameful history deserves better investigation, wider knowledge and perspective. How would a nomadic, diverse and dispersed nation of tribes faired under other European or Asian colonialists? There’s plenty of evidence to map scenarios.

So fly your flag and all will be well.