PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FFS & EFB - 'Spoofing' GPS position to match simulator realtime position
Old 10th Feb 2022, 14:32
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aa777888
If you are operating in a full-fledged, commercial flight simulator environment, then first you have to solve the problem of obtaining the requisite position, velocity and time (PVT) data from the simulator. That promises to be an even bigger problem. Such systems are not exactly open source. Do you have access to that data already?

If you look at the marketplace for position spoofing in both iOS and Android environments, you'll find that pretty much all solutions are associated with achieving only a fake static position, which alone is sufficient to deter tracking or to breach location-based restrictions on access to information and services. Thus there doesn't appear to be anything in the marketplace to help you.

The "A" answer would be to utilize a commercial GNSS simulator (example) that broadcasts an actual signal inside the commercial simulator facility, which would then be picked up naturally by the GNSS receivers in iOS and Android products. The GNSS simulator would need to be interfaced to the flight simulation software, which again brings us back to Problem Number 1. And you'd need to make certain that the simulator and building structure, and GNSS power levels, are such that the simulated signal does not escape from the facility lest you interfere with the real world.

I suspect that if you contact the maker of the flight simulator you might find that they already have a relationship with a manufacturer of GNSS simulation products.
Thanks aa777888,

I don't yet have the specifics of how the position data is coded or accessible, but I'm told that it has been done previously. I'm awaiting further information on this. I suspect the most straightforward solution will be to discuss with the EFB app developers how to decode the provided position data, and to allow it's use in 'simulation mode', which may be okay for some EFB applications, but other larger applications may not be so interested in accomodating this bespoke request, particlarly if the position data is not in a well recognised format (such as GDL90).

I hadn't thought of actually transmitting a generated GPS signal for the receiver to detect, but this may cause other issues, particularly given the locality of multiple other simulators in the same hall.

Cheers