PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA still "Too Expensive to Run"5000 jobs to go ???
Old 25th Dec 2003, 22:10
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mgc, I don't think you'll get much flak for that - deep down I think many of us realize you simply posted some harsh realities. I particularly agree with the comment about one person wrecking the best efforts of a whole team to bring about customer satisfaction, I've seen it happen in the US many times. I always ask the employee rsponsible "what was that all about? Why target the passenger?" Frequently the misguided reply is the hope that the pax will relay the employee frustration to management....never seen that work in 4 airlines - all you end up doing is losing another source of revenue and getting one more of your colleagues laid-off. And infuriating those of us trying to make the best of these unpleasant times for the airline and its patrons....

There is a phrase for the current economic environment that the airline industry is battling through: WAL-MARTing

Great for the price conscious, cr@p for the employees.

Having worked for Roddo in the past, good luck to all at BA. He's an unusual chap - good to have a social drink with, never forgets a name or face, Mr Hyde as a CEO. Much like Mr Arpey at AA, Roddo is going to have to tackle monstrous errors made by predecessors; he'll probably have the full weight of the financial lenders and politicians behind him - heaven help any union that tries to de-rail plans (and no public support - remember, we're dealing with the WalMart effect here).