PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35C Accident - USS Carl Vinson
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 23:00
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
As noted in the WARD CARROLL video above there was no grounding of F-35Cs so it is likely a 'pilot problem' not a 'system' problem. The F135 spools up fine but when actuated too late from a very low RPM it may take longer than usual. The Pilot may have been slow to react to the LSO calls also. The LSO may have been slow (recall the video LSO 'HOZER' says often the 'controlling LSO' is under training). The supervisor LSO may have actuated WAVE OFF lights as the control LSO gets to verbalise it. Because it is a shorter than usual straight away (Groove) perhaps the pilot missed setting up PLM Precision Landing Mode properly or opted to just use AUTO throttles (which he did not actuate?) thus ending up, once he lined up, perhaps a little high but going down with lower than usual RPM which he thought would be picked up by auto throttle when nose raised. Thus he was in the spud locker with LOW RPM - LOW in close - being lowered more perhaps by the burble - not reacting quick enough to the situation including LSO calls - to wind up in a RAMPstrike (which may have been a very hard landing before reaching the wires (when an arrest made whilst landing before No.1 wire this is called a TAXI ONE) - I find it difficult to say one way or tuther). Recall these are just my guesses from very limited information about the accident. I'll guess once investigations complete that the USN will be more forthcoming than usual about this F-35C loss due to the amount of material about it already online. Enquiring minds want to KNOW.