PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pudniks and CASA [2021/5950]
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 22:06
Lead Balloon

Received 444 Likes on 224 Posts
Mr Pudniks

If you wish to argue that a glider is not an "aircraft" within the meaning of that word in the Civil Aviation Act, knock yourself out. I'll bring a bigger bag of popcorn.

From my perspective, a glider is the paradigm example of a machine or craft that can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air, other than the reactions of the air against the earth’s surface. That's why good glider pilots can fly a 1,000km triangle. The main constraint on great glider pilots is not so much gravity, but more the number of hours of daylight.

It's about 'Aerodynamics 101' and a thing called a 'wing'. You've heard of 'wings'. It's one of those things that you've said you fly.

A Cessna 172 and a Piper Cherokee and any other aeroplane you'd like to name is just a glider with one or more engines. Google "the Gimli glider".

You quote the definition of "model aircraft" from CASRs, and still can't work out whether a model glider is an "aircraft" for the purposes of the civil aviation rules? Seriously?

Your problem is not so much that you're a smartarse; It's more that you're a smartarse who isn't smart enough to know when to shut his mouth. That's why I said that prosecutors love defendants like you. In contrast but for the same reason, I'd hazard a guess and say that HGFA/SAFA won't be missing you much.

Chances are that all that will happen on the 21st is your plea will be taken and, if you plead not guilty or do not enter a plea, a date will be set for the hearing. Chances are you won't be remanded in custody or even on bail, but your mouth could affect those probabilities.

Good luck.