PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Se-IR to Me-IR extension of priveleges
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 18:06
Arrow Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
You cannot change the meaning of a word simply to suit a point of view.
That's quite an accusatory statement, good thing I'm not overly sensitive about what people say on PPRuNe. I don't want to turn this into a debate on legalese or semantics, so I'd appreciate reading any Part FCL references you have so we can all learn together.

As far as I'm aware, "holder" in itself is not defined anywhere, however the privileges of a "holder" are.

Subpart H - Class and Type Ratings
FCL.705
The privileges of the holder of a class or type rating are to act as pilot on the class or type of aircraft specified in the rating.
Subpart G - Instrument Rating
FCL.605
(a) The privileges of a holder of an IR are to fly aircraft under IFR, including PBN operations, with a minimum decision height of no less than 200 feet (60 m).
(b) [...]
(c) Holders of an IR shall exercise their privileges in accordance with the conditions established in Appendix 8 to this Part.
If you're the holder of a rating, you can exercise the privileges as outlined above. If the rating has expired, you cannot exercise the privileges - I assume no debate there? If you cannot exercise the privileges of the rating, are you the "holder" of that rating?

I'll bow out of anything personal, I'm open to as much constructive discussion as you are Fl1ingfrog .