PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erik Bennett
Thread: Erik Bennett
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 14:42
Dave Roome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir Erik Bennett

So, despite one false start, Sir EPB has finally 'slipped the surly bonds'. He took over as OC Flying RAF Tengah from Wg Cdr Mike Knight in 1969. The two were chalk and cheese but both excellent officers and very popular indeed. Erik's promises that his Ferrari 275GTB was 'on its way' lasted for a long time, but when it finally arrived it put a whole new meaning to "I'll race you back to the Mess!" after a run ashore downtown Singapore. He also saved my bacon after my 'low level flypast' departure from Tengah on 4 Sep 71 as we ferried our 74 Sqn Lightnings to Cyprus via Gan. The Stn Cdr and the newly promoted Gp Capt Bennett were watching in 'Local' and lost sight of me as I went past the Tower below window level. Peter Latham wanted me recalled and two senior fit its 'fallen in' but EPB promised to punish me himself: he removed my authorisation status on 74 Sqn (which had just disbanded) and with me on my last Lightning F6 trip! When I next met him (in Oman) all he said about it was "Dave, you owe me a beer!" I most certainly did! Blue Skies, Sir Erik.