PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - passenger incidents
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 12:08
Nothrills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I am a SLF, and let me tell you my experience.

I fly quite a lot, yet mostly in Europe. And I am quite used to travelling during the pandemic. Yet recently I have experienced something extraordinary on Air Canada (FRA-YYZ), which made it the worst inflight service of my life (I have flown about 130 airlines in total).

The flight attendants, who happened to be aged ladies, were making the passengers feel like schoolchildren. Not only did they insist on passengers wearing masks all the time (which is right), but they were constantly talking by hands, raising voice and pointing fingers to those who did not wear them properly. After they sometimes used the phrases such as “lovely, darling”, etc., which sounded even more humiliating, at least to my ears.

When the service time came and the meals were served, after a couple of minutes the lady came with drinks. After asking what I would like to drink, she did not accept any reply insisting that I should wear a mask despite my eating, as there is supposedly a rule that every time when talking to a flight attendant one must wear a mask! After I started searching for my mask, she did not wait and said, “Ok, I won’t serve you”. And went down the galley! She never came back, disregarding the pressed call button.

After she came back to pick up the cutlery, I told her openly that her behaviour was very impolite, and I never experienced this before. She then started shouting and asking whether I wanted to speak to the captain - which was supposed to threaten me. I had to ask her to stop shouting. She did not say anything in return.

What I want to suggest is that this may really be a cultural thing. We do have strict Covid rules everywhere - yet anywhere else in the world except North America (and perhaps China?) passengers are treated like humans. Meanwhile, there is something in the US/ Canada that makes you feel a miserable part of the system and a slave to legal regulations. Which provokes unnecessary conflicts and in this way increases the “unruly passenger” statistic.

I may be wrong - but that’s my experience.