PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEC and Lightning question
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 11:51
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
HEC and Lightning question

I'm involved in STC approving a Human External Cargo dual hook system, which will use a Y harness, down line, and other harness and hardware parts. (This is not a winch operation, off the cargo hooks). The certifying authority is requiring that I demonstrate lighting strike resistance for the configuration, and I cannot figure out how this would be possible. I have proposed the flight limitation "Day VFR only, Flight in the vicinity of lighting storms prohibited" but this is not being accepted. The authority has replied by suggesting bonding the person on the line to the helicopter. I'm convinced that this would be practically impossible. Further to this, I imagine that if the person were bonded, they then carry a possible static charge of the helicopter in flight, and could expect a shock when set onto the ground during normal operations.

Can anyone offer any wisdom and experience with HEN lightning compliance (or exemption), which I may use to modify the proposed design, or refute the regulator's expectations? I am only approving the dual hook system on the helicopter, everything hooks down is already STC approved and I do not intend to reapprove it. The hooks are bonded to the helicopter airframe. But I'm being told that if I want to include the [already STC approved] "soft goods", I have to demonstrate compliance for them too - and I'm stuck. Is there any documented history of HEC persons taking a lightning strike? What about non human long line loads?

Any experienced thoughts would be appreciated....

Pilot DAR