PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2022, 09:08
Bob Farmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNKNOWN CRASH SITE

I stumbled across this forum after searching for a map of known Argentine aircraft crash sites in the Falkland Islands. I may be barking up the wrong tree but I was stationed in the Falklands in late 1984 and used to spend a lot of time exploring the Goose Green settlement and Argentine positions along Darwin and the far end of the isthmus around the suspension bridge between the main East Island and Lafonia. Just South East of Goose Green I found some aircraft parts on a flat isolated area not far from the bridge and approximately 100m from the shoreline. There was very little visible but I did pick up a section of the tail with a partial Argentine national flag. This was subsequently confiscated onboard the Canberra in March 1985 and thrown into the sea by the RMP doing searches.
I have always wondered if this was a recorded crash site and as a young lad it never occured to me that this may well have been the last resting place of a pilot. Having spoken to a few collector colleagues recently, I wondered if anyone had ever documented a site near Goose Green other than the Pucara of Thomba.
If no one is able to give me any help or has any corroberating evidence, would anyone know who I should report this to?
Kindest regards, Bob