PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alleged UFO or UAP, 1990, Calvine, Scotland
Old 7th Feb 2022, 21:55
Matthew Illsley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellow Sun
Matthew, before embarking in an enquiry you need to do some groundwork. That’s what enables you to discard the elements that aren’t worth any effort and formulate a plan with proper lines of research.

YS
With respect to several other comments, we have no preconceived ideas one way or the other. UFO was used by me as a popularly understood term of reference purely in the literal sense of the MoD files apparently showing a flying object that remains publicly unidentified. I have not suggested that aliens were visiting Scotland in 1990.

With respect to our groundwork, as others have correctly indicated, we're up against official secrecy and a 32-year history gap. We've found multiple witnesses who were somewhat involved, but many won't talk, others are quite elderly and understandably don't recall matters in great detail, and, of those who have spoken out, none have had a "smoking gun" or retained any revelatory evidence. Many other key witnesses are dead, including the Daily Record's then-editor and photo editor. Moreover, the state appears to have destroyed almost all the evidence it once possessed, it might not be being truthful about other aspects of the case, and it is still covering up key details by actively preventing the release of information from the National Archives until 2076.

Overall, we are pursuing multiple lines of enquiry, a minor one of which is to solicit new and useful responses on public fora, some of which we were grateful to receive from members of PPRuNe. Hopefully, other witnesses will come forward, or our other avenues of research may bear fruit. Given the circumstances and the passage of time, though, we accept that the odds are against us.

Elsewhere, Davef68's comments re: a privately operated UAV seem reasonable to me and I will look into that angle. Thank you for that suggestion.