PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Lossiemouth jets scrambled to 'unidentified aircraft'
Old 5th Feb 2022, 08:26
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
Ah yes, TT, I echo your comments about Abbotsford static displays! Such fun.

Leuchars was indeed a splendid VC10K FOB on Boris-chasing occasions. Big George and his VASF team looked after us extremely well.

I only stayed in that roof dormitory once when we diverted in a Vulcan. Normally we stayed in St.Andrews, often slumming it at the Old Course Hotel, which was rather pleasant. On one occasion we'd planned to stay overnight and fly back the following day, due to bad weather at Brize. However, 'Thrombo' called and ordered us to return immediately. I pointed out to the captain that we would still have to pay the hotel as it was too late to cancel - but Thrombo wanted to smarm to the Stn Cdr as the Dulles schedule had managed to take-off, despite the hazardous conditions. So back we went; the aircraft took a battering and only just got in due to severe wind shear and strong crosswinds. I gather that the Stn Cdr actually saw the landing and said "Why on earth didn't they stay over and fly back tomorrow - that's what I'd have done!"....