PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35C Accident - USS Carl Vinson
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2022, 15:33
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SpazSinbad
'sandiego89' commented: "...That catapult track, especially the waist cat, looks very short. What did the stroke feel like? I had heard the short hydraulic cats on the early Essex class were especially brutal. Thanks, Dave"

Dave, the first cat shot was a shock - like having someone punch your chest will all their strength - took the wind out of my sails that's for sure. Next time I was better prepared but still got the PUNCH at around 6G. I'm told the first cat shots for a nugget/newbie/sprog are extra ooomphy to ensure they have plenty of endspeed (also they are at a light weight for carquals). Plenty of hairy stories about A4G catshots, including the first for the A4G (years earlier a USN A-4B had demonstrated an arrest & catapult off Manila I believe. The USN pilot reaction to the catshot (with extra GO I guess) on radio cannot be repeated here).
Thanks so much for the replay and schematics. I have always been fascinated about jets operating from the smallish Colossus/Majestic classes. While there were numerous variables, including cat length and performance (some cats received modification, some were more tired than others) , ship speed (and reliability and power by some of the ships), take off, stall and landing speed, launch weight, etc, what do you think was the dodgiest regular jet use aboard these ships? Some candidates, and others?:

A-4 on the Melbourne- short cat. Shortest cat?
A-4 on the 25 De Mayo- longer cat, but perhaps not as well maintained/performing cat, ship speed/boilers tired. Lack of ship speed/wind cited during the Falklands.
Super Entendard on the 25 Mayo, post Falklands the SuE conducted occasional operations. Cat was overhauled, but ship/boilers were still tired. SuE usually heavier than the A-4?
Banshee on the Bonaventure. Believe the Bonaventure had upgrades for larger/heavier aircraft, but the Banshee was heavy and underpowered.
A-4 on Menas Gerias. Ship got a pretty massive upgrade in the 60's, but not sure it was equivalent to the Majestics?

Sea Hawk and Sea Venom likely more straightforward?