PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2022, 04:36
dr dre

Received 367 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by KRviator
I think Alan Joyce said it better, comparing WA to North Korea.

Maye AJ would have more luck getting McCoward to pull his head out of his asre than Scotty from Marketing, "If you don't open the border by 28th Feb, QF9+10 will go via Darwin forevermore!"
I think McGowan has the "sort of" upper hand. He knows there's enough local UK born in WA that there is always going to be a market for direct flights, plus there are practical limitations in Darwin with terminal and apron size etc.

AJ also probably knows that the delay is likely to be short lived, several weeks or so. Probably won't effect those services which weren't due to restart until April. But he needs to make headlines some how to put the pressure on, so you then get those attention grabbing comparisons.

I would even say the pressure being put on WA by airlines to open up is more due to their need to make profits in domestic interstate flying. No doubt the coffers of airlines have taken a big hit in January and upcoming in February and March. Approx 40% drop in domestic capacity, mostly due to the drop in demand from the eastern states. That's were the real money is made. They also know interstate flying in and out of WA will help restore that lost revenue.

So I'd say the pressure from Joyce is more to announce a date to restore confidence in booking on the domestic network primarily.

Last edited by dr dre; 4th Feb 2022 at 04:49.