PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2022, 00:41
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
615 Operations

Originally Posted by treadigraph
615 at Kenley has been flying for some months now - can't recall when they restarted, probably June or July.
Upholding a fine tradition of 'surviving & providing' just like its historic base. (Image Treads) PC
Just for the record Pobjoy was a very early 'volunteer' for Gliding AEF before it became part of the 'Gliding schools' program in addition to training.
Having only just got my uniform I happened to be one of the few Cadets left at our (450 Squadron ATC HQ Kenley) after the squadron bussed off to White Waltham for Chipmunk flying one Sunday. We were supposed to be cleaning the HQ, but a landrover arrived from 615 and asked for some Cadets to go over for a 'trial' AE flight.
We promptly ditched our 'bumpers and brooms' and went Gliding, and in my case I just kept going back to help out.
The joke was the Chipmunk brigade did not fly (weather) and we got 2 or 3 three launches each in a MK3. Bit of a row when the Squadron officers found out, but we had participated in some of the first programmed Gliding AE, and it started me off in an amazing adventure of actually flying AE Cadets myself whilst still a Cadet !!!!
615 & Kenley, unbeatable combination. (the MK 3's replaced the Hurricanes), and we called them the fretwork fighters.