PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems switching BT security from McAfee to Norton
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 07:44
andytug

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 for Spybot, and also consider Malwarebytes (either free or paid for, the paid for one runs automatically the free one is manual but they do the same).

I would not touch Norton or McAfee with a barge pole, both are resource hogs and anything that needs you to download another "tool" to uninstall it properly (Windows installer doesn't do it all) is suspect in my view. Unless you have a really top spec PC these will slow it down noticeably.

Of the free ones Avast! is OK, AVG used to be but has got slower and slower over the years.

As said above best protection is not clicking on stuff that might be dodgy/downloading stuff from sites you don't know ("driver download" sites are the worst). I also use Firefox browser and uBlock Origin add on (also available for Edge I think) that stops malicious scripts and ads running, makes a big difference to browsing when you have no ads!

Where I work (govt stuff) uses just Windows Defender, but then also has a shed load of firewalls and filtering software between the PCs and the internet.

Opinion based on 30+ years in IT support and using/messing with/building IT kit at home.