PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines 747F damages two engines at ORD
Old 30th Jan 2022, 16:50
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailvi767
I would not agree on taxi speed. Runways are usually predictable in frozen precipitation events. Taxiways and ramps are all over the place and can vary wildly at different points on a airport. I once watched a SWA 737 come into the ramp in Kansas City at a good clip. Taxiways were pretty good. Ramp was horrible. When he realized he had no braking he yanked both engines into reverse. Sadly one did not spool up right away and he did a beautiful almost 360 degree pirouette. Even the Russian judges gave him a 9! Speaking of Russians they once cleared ramps with a jet engine on a truck. The snow then refroze as pure ice. 3 knot taxi speed with fingers on the reversers at all times and they were needed.
Personally I use 5 knots on snow covered taxiways and creep into ramps.
I think you are right. It appears from the video(although not sure if it was speeded up) that the taxi speed was too fast, which is what I was saying in my previous post. Especially with the modern digital groundspeed display, one should not hesitate to use 1 knot taxi speed in certain situations/locations if necessary.