PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2022, 05:36
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
Now the Canadians have a flag that is clean, striking and uniquely identifiable as Canadian
But only if you know what a maple leaf is. It only says "Canada" to someone who already knows about Canada. If the Canadian flag was something else, because I know about Canada, I'd recognize their flag. It's about being educated. That's where I have issues where others say "Our flag doesn't shout Australia". Well unless you put a kangaroo on it, it's unlikely ever to. People not recognizing our flag is not our problem, it's theirs. It's basically advertising. Everyone knows the US flag because it's so in your face all the time, but it doesn't intrinsically show anything "American". Most people probably wouldn't know what any of the items that make it up mean, but they recognize it. I don't know what the flag of Turkmenistan looks like, but I bet that doesn't mean the population of Turkmenistan is all bent out of shape over that fact.
My issue with changing our flag is, a/ tradition etc takes time to build, and we've got 120 years of history invested in it (more or less the same flag), and b/ I've not seen any changes that don't seem to be a sop to some noisy minority in some way or other, or look like they were drawn by a colour-blind pre-schooler.
I actually quite like the Eureka flag as a design, irrespective of its origins, but that has been appropriated by the bogans, and would not solve the recognition of sundry minorities issue. Perhaps the current flag with the Union Jack removed and the Federation star moved to the canton (examples are out there) might be acceptable? Nice and simple, not too big a change.....does look like just another Pacific fly speck one though.
Unfortunately, rather than something that represents us, we just seem to be looking for a flag that doesn't offend anyone, which seems to be the only criteria for most things these days.