PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35C Accident - USS Carl Vinson
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2022, 05:29
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
is that tight a base turn normal, or normal for F35? I assume so but seems a much shorter final than earlier types.
Perhaps the final straightaway is minimal. Hornets/Shornets have an interval no longer than 12-15 seconds to ensure they are NOT long in groove thus mucking up the next aircraft about to turn base from an overhead formation arrival. I have to guess because as you realise at my age I'm not flying an F-35C. A SHOThit (geddit?) USN pilot may try to blast into the break and more or less turn base once downwind to have a shorter groove so as to impress all & sundry (peanut gallery goofers). However said HitSHOT pilot must also impress the covey of LSOs monitoring the approach. So to actually be impressive SIR ShotHIT must get a 'greenie' and OK pass at least with an OK being very impressive indeed (a perfect approach target wire caught with no comments whatsoever) a rare accolade. We don't know if there was an emergency or equipment failure to complicate the ramp strike approach. My impression (from said gallery) is that too much power is taken off at wings level and nothing added until too late. BUT I was not there - I do not have the view nor radio comms of the LSOs - so bear with me.
POWER POWER POWER - DON'T CLIMB!

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 30th Jan 2022 at 06:50. Reason: txt+