PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2022, 03:02
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Keg
Changing the Aussie flag to include the Aboriginal flag at the Canton would say to Torres Strait islander people that one indigenous heritage is considered more important than the other. It would say to 98% of Aussies that one group of people is a little more Australian than the rest. See how this goes?
That's a strawman. Almost all proposals to change the flag do not include replacing the Union Jack with the Aboriginal Flag in the canton. In the "Triple Union Flag" video I posted earlier they explained that clearly. But at least you acknowledge the significance of an emblem in the canton, and how on the current flag it directly signifies the UK nation is in the superior position on the Australian flag, or those of British heritage in Australia are considered more important than non British Australians. Thanks for making my point.

There is no easy solution to that issue.
There's a very easy solution. Get rid of the Union Jack from the Canton. You can then move the Commonwealth star up a bit to the middle of the hoist side and have a minimalist change but remove the error on the flag.

Someone who has ancestors stretching back 30,000 years in this county is no more an Aussie than someone like me who’s ancestry dates back to the early 1800s, or someone who became an Aussie four days ago on Australia Day. We are all Aussies and on THAT we should be all equally proud.
Yep - but current flag says if you're of British heritage you're currently more "equal" than others.

So until that time I’d prefer to stick with what we have given that for the overwhelming majority of us, that’s the flag that has represented us for all of our lives.
Overwhelming majority - becoming less by the day. In the first half of the 20th century, when the flag was designed, 90% of Australia was of Anglo ancestry. Now that's declined to about 60%. Future projections only show Anglo Australians becoming a smaller share of the pie. If we look at the migration statistics for the last FY there was full migration, 18/19 (likely to be in the same proportion when migration resumes soon), 92% of migrants came from somewhere other than the UK. Even if I was generous and included all the immigrants from the other majority Anglo nations in the figure of Anglo migrants, like NZ and USA, it still means 85% of migrants are probably non Anglo ancestry. So in the coming decades Australians of an Anglo Saxon background will be in the minority. It's a statistical inevitability.

And represented all of us? Everyone sees how they are represented by the flag differently. I see within recent years some of the events where Australian flags are prominent amongst crowds are things like the Cronulla Riots or those far right "patriot" rallies. That's not something that represents me, and more often now I see people displaying Australian flags as being associated with the views those groups hold. Now I'll make it clear I'm not saying everyone who flies an Australian flag holds those views, but those views seem more prominent in flag wavers. For instance a survey showed people who fly Australian flags from their cars were twice as likely to hold positive views of the White Australia Policy.

I’m OK with uniting behind a symbol that truly WOULD unite us. IE a flag that would see us retire the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags also. One flag to represent the entire nation, not continue to seek to divide us into our different ‘tribes’........ However I don’t think those advocating for a change to the current flag would be able to achieve that.
They managed to do it in Canada a long time back. As far as I can see there's no movement in Canada today to return to the pre 1965 Union Jack flag. Are you saying Australians are more incompetent and less mature than Canadians?