PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 01:56
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Proach
Given America's relatively active aviation industry, I expected the supply chain of local pilots would be more than adequate to supply their RPT industry. This must not be the case if they are recruiting from overseas locations. Is it simply the case of demand vs supply? Are there other factors at play? e.g. Is aviation becoming a less popular career choice for the native population or have their supply chains been affected in some way?
All of the above, IMO. COVID made a more than a few of those over 60 with a few years to go, reconsider their priorities and leave early. This has created a need to replace the leavers with the next rung down; regional pilots and LCC pilots deciding a change is worth it in the long run. This leaves the regional airlines needing to replace huge numbers of pilots, as the legacy/major carriers hoover them up.

After the Colgan crash, it became widely understood by joe public, that starting salaries were truly sh!t at the regionals and you needed to pay almost 2-3 years of your initial salary as an FO on a CRJ or EMB, just to do your flight training. This coupled with the financial crisis of ‘07/‘08 meant few wanted to take the chance or could even get a loan for the $$ required for their flight training. Hence the regionals are hurting in a major way for pilots. Considering it takes a minimum of around 2 years to go from “I don’t know anything” to “I know enough to scare myself” and get your first RPT job, demand is currently far outpacing supply.

Times are good at the moment but as always, subject to change.