PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASICs to now be issued by the feds
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2022, 23:25
Roy Nolland

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Triadic,
unfortunately the Department has never given any consideration whatsoever to the impact of ASICs and other security measures on GA.

The thing that amuses me is at license aerodrome you must have a ASIC at these same aerodromes you don’t have to have security screening for pax. REX classic example Wagga, Griffith
At last count, there were 57 airports who were also in this category. Many of them because Rex flexed their muscle as they could have gone fully de-regulated.

The triggers for screening and ASIC display have always been different with ASICs required across the board at an airport that is security controlled.

On the bright side, a lot of small airports that were security controlled are now off the list i.e. Bankstown, Archerfield, Moorabbin, not that ASICs were ever required there but there were other onerous compliance requirements placed upon the operators. Plus a good number of remote airports that had one or two low capacity RPT services per week.

But we digress from the original thread here. I'll give some examples of how the current model works as opposed to what will likely happen.

An airport operator had to cease issuing a visitor card to a contractor as the 28 day rule had been exceeded meaning contractor couldn't get airside and critical maintenance couldn't be done. Airport contacted the issuing body, on a Saturday, and asked if the application for an ASIC could be submitted. In an hour, the paperwork was lodged, application for background check submitted and evidence provided therefore negating the 28 day rule and work could continue. or

Pilot loses their ASIC and needs another one ASAP. Upon receipt of a stat dec, a new card can be printed on the spot and re-issued.

All the issuing bodies I know of will work late, come in early or on weekends to clear back logs. Do a special one off print for replacement cards and make individual special trips to the post office for urgent requests etc.

Do you really think the feds will give a toss about any inconvenience to industry or have any motivation for providing a level of service? How will they facilitate a pilot based at Fitzroy Crossing, Walgett or Borroloola in getting their ASIC.

Last edited by Roy Nolland; 29th Jan 2022 at 23:43.