PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 29th Jan 2022, 10:41
balpalover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plastic787
I think we’re at cross purposes to be honest. My comments regarding being aware that BA chopped from the bottom were primarily directed at those above who feel visceral bitterness at the BACC for negotiating them out of a job. I understand the bitterness at losing the job I really do, I’ve been there and bought the T Shirt (admittedly in a situation not remotely as bad as Covid), but the bitterness and anger should not be directed at the BACC it should be directed at the government (and not just ours) for abandoning almost every part of the pre-existing pandemic management strategies and ignoring the WHO’s existing advice on pandemic management by imposing absolutely useless and ineffective populist travel bans.

I do not mean to talk to you like a fool, I’m just trying to point out that (the theory of) seniority being the major part of how BA operates has never been a secret and it’s partly why I’m so cheesed off about out of seniority long haul moves because I think I must have made a very similar move to you (if not the same one if you came from easy) and accepted the soonest possible start date on the advice of many in BA who told me “seniority is everything” only to then find out that wasn’t quite true if you populated the RHS of the minibus (ie bend over and be shafted as you watch every other bugger (including two people from the same place as you with the sum total of 1000 Jet hours between them) leapfrog you to the only reason why you joined BA in the first place: Long Haul).

Now we’re about to see people who’ve jumped the seniority queue not just once but been made redundant then jumped it again on their way back in all whilst there’s a couple of hundred Airbus FOs with valid bids who’ve patiently waited their turn for over 6-7+ years looking on aghast at this (most not as vocal as me but feeling the exact same underneath) whilst being patronisingly told “remember how we told you seniority was everything in BA? Ah well actually its two courses to replace you, so you’re stuck where you are, suck it up.”

I feel your pain, I really do. As I said I had exactly the same dice as you and rolled them the same and could very easily have been in your position had Covid hit 4/5 years earlier. Just pure luck. As people have said before we’re far from out of the woods as it stands so it’s a bit premature of myself to be moaning about out of seniority moves, I am grateful to be still gainfully employed even if it does seem my attention has been shifted elsewhere.
I mean I feel bitter at the utter nepotism and lack of integrity from the BACC. As I said. I left a firm that made 0 redundancy (not easy but similar) thinking that this was going to be a safe job. Even going back, I know that when it comes to it. I’m the 1st to be thrown under the bus (again)….

I mean I’m struggling to sympathise with the ‘I dodged redundancy by a few places, now I want the seat I want, potentially at the disadvantage to my (ex) colleagues who in a lot of cases haven’t earned any money (or very little) in the last 2 years.

Some of us who are at the top of the PRP now face a new 7 (or8) year freeze before looking at long haul if we return on the a320, delaying a long haul move 10 years from where it was expected. So as I said, I wouldn’t come here seeking sympathy.