PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2022, 00:09
Mr Proach

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
This topic has generated lot of interesting information on vexillology and a range of viewpoints regarding colonial history and multiculturalism etc. It seems the Aboriginal flag doesn't display the symbology of political history unlike some other flags do e.g. Union Jack. Maybe this is due the fact they are the original inhabitants of Australia so there isn't a predecessor to refer to unless you enter into the realm of science and religion. Also of note, is the Aboriginal flag doesn't include symbology about the recent occupation of their land, so in that sense it is apolitical. To me, this flag simply represents the existence of a people who were here a very long time before the British occupation (250 years versus 50,000 years). In my view, the very fact that vexillology even exists is evidence of the significance that people place on flags. Previously, there were conditions restricting the use of the Aboriginal flag which has been removed. I think it would be an appropriate and positive measure for this flag to become something that is readily and widely recognised as being associated with Australia.