PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kangaroos and First Nation Peoples Flags
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2022, 04:57
tail wheel

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts
It is not really a matter of what I want however, in my view I consider it would be appropriate to add the Aboriginal flag in the context of the definition of "aboriginal". From the posts, I am gaining the impression it is viewed as some kind of threat to the national identity.
Mr Proach, not at all. The Aboriginal flag (or Torres Strait flag or most of the State and Territory flags) would be meaningless at the overseas destinations serviced by Qantas.

But if we are going to plaster our Flag Carrier national airline with flags of all significant groups, please make sure all the States and Territory flags are also included.

And don't forget this one to add a bit of colour:

Does "Aboriginal" by definition include the TSI peoples?
The definition of the word "Aboriginal" is:

inhabiting or existing in a land from the earliest times or from before the arrival of colonists; indigenous.
By that definition it may appear Torres Strait Islanders are "aboriginal" although a more accurate term may be that both groups are indigenous. However, Aboriginal people are Australo-Melanesians or Australoid, whilst Torres Strait Islanders are Melanesian, more related to the PNG races.