PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 28th Jan 2022, 02:55
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
The new SOE is as practically meaningless as the previous ones.
CASA should perform its functions in accordance with the [Civil Aviation Act [1988], the Airspace Act 2007 and the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 as well as other relevant legislation.
CASA “should” do things in accordance with the law? That’s some special genius, right there.

Guess what Minister? CASA is already obliged to do things in accordance with the law. If you and your Parliamentary buddies spent more time making CASA comply with the law, it wouldn’t have the reputation it has and so many people wouldn’t have lost faith and trust in you and your buddies. You and your buddies created the CASA monster and you continue to let it wreak havoc.
The SOE requires measurable outcomes that are very specific, so if they are not delivered to the Ministers satisfaction, CASA and its Board must answer to him.
Quell horreur! The humanity!

When hell freezes over and a Minister sacks a CASA CEO or Board member or all of them at once, what difference do you reckon that would make, Sunfish? Diddly.

The previous CEO “completed” and “resolved” the longstanding regulatory reform program in accordance with the previous SOE. Got a nice shiny Gong and a bag of gold for his troubles. Anyone on planet Earth really reckon the current pile of regulatory crap is “completed”? Anyone outside the ‘Canberra bubble’, that is.

The safety of air navigation trumps everything. And who decides what is and is not in the interests of the safety of air navigation? Not the Minister. The Authority.

The Authority must know best, because it’s the Authority. Why else would it be the Authority?
review its regulatory philosophy and update it if required, in consultation with the aviation sector, by the end of 2022
Done. About 15 minutes of work to paper that one over.

fully consider the impact of new regulations on general aviation, with a particular focus on regional and remote Australia
That word “fully” is going to need a few more minutes’ work. And I reckon lots of travel. Lots of important people are going to need to travel to regional and remote Australia – not in any of those dangerous little aircraft mind you, and only to places with sufficient starred accommodation.

review its consultation framework with stakeholders in the aviation community to support developing fit-for-purpose regulatory amendments and addressing key safety issues by 30 June 2022
Done. Another 15 minutes.

release an exposure draft of proposed regulations for industry consultation before regulations are sent for approval
Already doing that.

review its client services standards and ensure there are key performance indicators, such as processing times, for all client delivery functions published on its website by 30 June 2022
Getting an organisation to decide on its own KPIs? When I was told I needed to establish and report on KPIs for my own team’s performance, I said: “I guarantee our performance will look excellent against the KPIs I choose.”

Dontcha think the KPIs should be set by the people who pay for the so-called ‘service’ or the Parliament which created the monster?

seek to publish by 1 May 2022 a work plan of measures being developed that will reduce, where appropriate, the regulatory burden on general aviation
I seek to win Lotto each week. And who decides what’s “appropriate”? You guessed it.

provide an annual report on CASA’s forward regulatory program and how the views of the aviation community have been taken into account.
The views of the aviation community are always taken into account by consultation, then promptly ignored to the extent it's convenient “appropriate”.

(And could someone tell the brains trust at Australian Flying magazine that there is no “Civil Aviation Act 1996”.)