PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 27th Jan 2022, 23:08
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh gawd, the usual ‘peace for our (aviation) time’ crowd are waving the new CASA Statement of Expectations around.

Tell me: What is the penalty for not complying with the CASA SOE and who pays that penalty? I can’t find any strict liability offences or penalty units in it, or in the Civil Aviation Act sections to which it refers. Whose arse is on the line and how?

Emergency back-up toilet paper supply is about all it’s good for.
It doesn't read like toilet paper to me, and I have been accused of being a pessimist before.

It reads to me like a coherent blueprint for change and I note that Sections 12 and 12A of the Act specify that the Minister may make Directions that specify what and how the Minister requires CASA to do and subclause in each section says that CASA and its Board must comply with the Ministers directions. The SOE requires measurable outcomes that are very specific, so if they are not delivered to the Ministers satisfaction, CASA and its Board must answer to him.

A for penalties, I'm sure senior managers will walk away with big money but considering the damage some of them may have done, is a few million from the public purse thhat much to get rid of them?

Of course the Litmus test of CASA and the Minister Bona Fides is how they resolve Glen Buckley's case. Fingers crossed for Glen.