PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exit Strategy
Thread: Exit Strategy
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2022, 02:01
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mngmt mole
I left in 2019, after 30+ years in the airline. I joined in the late 80's, as a FO on the Classic ! It's bittersweet to look back now. At the time of joining, it was arguably the best airline career for a pilot in the entire world. The airline went out of their way to demonstrate that you (and your family) were valued and important. I remember my wife and I being flown out in First Class to HK for the second interview. Three days in HK, all expenses paid. A limo to take us of a tour of housing, dinner with the senior management, cocktail parties and a tour of the Kai Tak facilities. There was no question it was a definite "yes" if they offered a position.

Well, over 30 years later, the airline is unrecognisable. It is now probably one of the worst working environments in the industry, and the management seems to treat their pilots with almost utter contempt. The worst people have risen to the top (I do not consider MH to be one of those, but that is a personal opinion). CX management (and Swires) lost sight of what made their airline special. Bean counter mentalities overtook a previously firm appreciation of the contributions of their staff. We are now left with watching a once magnificent airline descend towards oblivion.

I accept I am no longer there to witness first hand the inner workings (although have many friends who inform me of the day to day). I pray for those remaining that the management come to their senses and recognise the only way forward is to recognise that the attitudes and policies of the past were what made CX successful. Time to throw away petty prejudices against aircrew and restore their pay, benefits and dignity.

I pulled the plug, it's just not what is was back then, I had enough ( with 64 and 11 months ;-)