PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2022, 01:50
dr dre

Received 357 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad Gates
I do hope you’re right doc. I just don’t understand why hotel quarantine facilities would be all chocked up going into August if the border is indeed open.
It's a 500-1000 bed facility.

Unvaccinated travelers still have to do 14 days quarantine. That's only about 35-70 new people coming into the camp per day. Even now with the extreme risk to all other states there's far more entrants into the state as a whole per day.

So if they were estimating about 2000 international arrivals per day that's only about 3.5% of the estimated arrivals who could be accommodated in this facility. It could hold those who come down with symptoms inflight, or those who test positive on arrival. Or any other diseases, say another Ebola outbreak?

Given that it'll only hold 35-70 new entrants per day at maximum theoretical capacity then it isn't going to be used for the vast majority of people planned to come into the state, only the very few who need to quarantine for a specific reason. And this discounts the greater number of domestic arrivals who are now coming from a non Covid Zero locations, so essentially and practically the same level as international arrivals.

Now if they were planning on a 20-50,000 bed facility then I'd say Covid zero is the long term plan. As they aren't then a long term hard border is not the plan as far as I can see.