PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia - Military Strength vs Expenditure. How do they do it?
Old 26th Jan 2022, 14:32
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dead_pan
Ish, but I'd contend quantity doesn't necessarily confer capability. Just look what Russia has available in key capabilities you'd expect for a modern air force e.g. tanking, AEW. Not much of note there. As for nice-to-haves such as CSAR, recall their half-arsed attempt to rescue the crew of the Su24 which was dealt with with ease by those Turkish F16s a few years back, the helicopter in question being taken out by an anti-tank missile as soon as it landed.
I do agree quantity does not by itself multiply overall capability. And yes, the overall conventional capability of the Russian Forces is quite definitely way below what the sheer numbers would suggest.
The high number of Tanks would not mean that much against a sophisticated opponent. Drones, modern Anti Tank missiles and Helicopters and Fighter aircraft can wipe out tanks by the dozens/hundreds very quickly, especially on flat, open terrain. The good thing of flat terrain though is that the hundreds or thousands of your burning wrecks won't block your way for the remaining ones.
I think Ukraine may be a way tougher nut for Russia to crack now, esp with their growing capability with Turkish-built drones, which proved themselves so effective in Nagorno-Karabakh (armour, trucks, artillery, sheesh the operators even got so bored they started picking off individual troops in foxholes). Just have a fleet of these patrolling up and down the border, ready to plink anything which crosses the line.
I agree. This will not be a walk in the Park for the Russian Forces.