PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35C Accident - USS Carl Vinson
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2022, 06:55
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Obba
Spaz, great post and info. Have downloaded the pdf. In my lack of knowledge, do the green dots mean Delta/Path's are good? It just looks like to me that the F18's have more Greens in the optimal landing area. I understand they are different ships.
Personally I'm not concerned about the green dots or whatever just that there is dispersion with DFP in both aircraft. DFP was in use with the F-35C that crashed (we don't know how yet) aboard VINSON. Some people want to insist that JPALS was in use. YES it may have been to get back to the carrier and into the marshal but it was not used for the carrier approach part. DFP was in use as has been described. One day when all is hunkydory with JPALS - certified for auto landings to touchdown - it will be used by both Super Hornet & Lightnings in night, rough weather and fatigued pilot deck landings. I have read in the old LSO newsletters that probably future pilots will 'hands off auto land' as a matter of course; while a 'hands on DFP landing' for example will become an 'emergency'. Navy Pilots today resist auto landings but they are meant to be practiced once in a while. Apparently they are very uncomfortable to experience, whilst it is hoped the JPALS auto land to touchdown/arrest will be more comfortable. Yes dispersion in the case of JPALS may be an issue but apparently overcome by slightly varying the programmed touch down point on deck. LSOs are said to be able to program the target wire as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 26th Jan 2022 at 07:00. Reason: + txt